Monday, February 9, 2009

Weekend Fun

So a few weeks back I had kept having the same conversation over and over in my head.....should I go to my church's women's retreat or go to Dallas for Student Life Conference there and hang with some dear friends who I miss a lot? You might ask why I just didn't go to both (since they weren't on the same weekend). The reason is it would have been too much...I know my limits and I needed at least ONE weekend where I didn't have anything.....plus I wound up with two babysitting jobs the weekend of the retreat.

So, this past friday I skipped both of my classes and headed for Dallas. On my way there I stopeed and suprised my mom. I then went to lunch with both her and my dad. Lunch was actually kind of sad because our favorite Tex-Mes resteraunt closed a few months ago with no warning. So we went to the eat at the resteranut that opened in the same building. It was lovely to spend time with my parents but that was by far some of the yuckiest mexican food I have ever had (my mom and I tried to convice my dad to leave the second we opened the menus but he wouldn't...oh well...now we know not to go there again).

I actually enjoyed my drive to Dallas. I listened to some great podcasts by Ben Stuart and just enjoyed being alone on a beautiful day.

When I finally got to DBU, I was greeted by Alyssa and Raychelle, both of whom I have not seen since AUGUST! Oh my goodness it was just LOVELY to see them. Dani got there about 30 minutes later and we were off to the church that the conference was at. While there we got to see the amazing Jessica Dodd! Oh how I have missed my hotel-roomie! (This summer, almost everytime we stopped at a hotel while traveling I roomed with Dodd....good times). While we were standing around talking with her one of the guys working Tour walked up to us. He told us they were short on staffers and were wondering if we wouldn't mind helping them out by working the Compassion table (Compassion International is a fantastic organization and Student Life has a booth for them at every event they do). Being the ever devoted (and crazy excited...I mean come on, we were part of OTOCHO) Student Life summer staff we were we said "sure! why not! can we have staffer shirts??" (cause it is not like we don't have enough SL shirts anyways). He then proceeded to ask us if we knew how to work the Compassion table. Our response was to look at him like he had a 2nd head.....we spent 12 weeks doing camp....yes, we know how to work the Compassion table. A bit later Ben Cranford and Maddie showed up....we also got to see Ross for a bit. Once tour started we got to enjoy the ever-so-amazing Kristian Stanfill lead worship.

The highlight of the evening took place after the event was over for the evening....we all go to hang out with Dodd. Let's just say, we had some very OTOCHO moments. (side note: for those of you who are wondering what in the world OTOCHO is, it stands for Orange (O) Team (T) 08 (OCHO).

The next day (of which I was running off of 4 hours of sleep...just like camp!) was great....friends interviewed for summer positions, saw some people we knew from the summer and just over all had a great time.

My drive home that night was the first time in my life I have ever wished that I went to Sam Houston University. My reason? Because my drive would have been 1 1/2 hrs shorter :-)

I have some observations I have made and been learning about worship but I must go study for a test so those will have to wait until another day.

Blessings

No comments: