Thursday, July 8, 2010

Letter

Friends and Family,

Just wanted to drop you a quick note to let you know about something that is going on in my life. You all have walked with me through this crazy journey of trying to get into Law School. As I am sure you all know back in May I was put on a waiting list. Though this was frustrating, I was oddly at peace with it. Because I did not want this to be a summer of anxiousness and wanted to continue to be at peace I intentionally did not learn the dates which they would be offering “seats” in the fall class to a few individuals on the waiting list.

Well, apparently yesterday was one of those days. I received a phone call that morning telling me that a seat had opened up and they would like to offer it to me. I had about 48 hrs to decide (until noon on Friday). Those of you who know we particularly well will not be surprised to learn that my first reaction once hanging up the phone was to break into tears. You see, God has been teaching me a lot during this journey. A lot about faith, trust and what my heart really desires; especially about living one day at a time and not being anxious about what tomorrow will hold. Because of this, I had not ever said that I would say “yes” or “no” if I was offered a position.

So, I spent a good portion of yesterday seeking wisdom from some wise people in my life. After spending some serious time with Jesus I really realized that neither choice is “bad.” I firmly believe that I could be in the will of God both at law school in Birmingham but that I could also be in the will of God here in the Houston area. The conclusion that I came to was that this wasn’t a matter of making the ‘right’ choice but rather, which choice would bring God the most glory and which would allow me to enjoy God the most (“What is the chief end of man? To glorify God and to enjoy him forever.”)

After much wrestling, tears and prayer I have decided to decline the seat. I do not do this with a promise of a job in Houston, or really a promise of a job in general. This is just merely the path that I feel will allow me to serve God and allow for His glory and grace to be most exalted through my life. Again, this is not to say that that couldn’t and wouldn’t happen if I went to Birmingham. My thoughts are not an argument against Birmingham but rather, why I think that Houston is the best choice for me right now. Grad school might be in my future eventually, but not this fall.

I promise this is about to end, but I wanted to share a verse or two that are helping me in this decision.

“Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time.” 1 Peter 5:6

“Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our Lord, equip you in every good thing to do His will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.” Hebrews 13:20-21

“Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord or of me His prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity.” 2 Timothy 1:8-9

*side note on this verse: this is not me saying that what I am going through is “suffering” because I have food, a roof over my head and more than enough clothes…this is just a bit of a trial/difficult decision. My inclusion of this verse is for the last part and the emphasis of our calling being “holy” and based on God’s purpose and grace rather than my works.

Thanks for all of your prayers and support during this whole process. Blessed to have such wonderful people in my life.

Blessings,

Lisa

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Hey! Well, I'm so glad that you're at peace with your decision - I know it was a big one. But I'm SUPER bummed that we won't be fellow Cumberland-ites! :) Houston is lucky to hang on to you, girlie!!