Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lee University...the second time around

So last time I was here I had NO CLUE what in the world I was doing....this thing called camp was overwhelming and I was working with a bunch of people who I know that I liked but I didn't really know them....

Now, I have somewhat of an idea of what I'm doing (or at least I have gotten good at acting like it :-)) and I know why I like my team.

Our week of camp was really great. I did learn something though: Florida people are a bit weird...not always a bad weird (a good number of people on my team are from Florida) just a different weird. Our speaker that weeks was Sam Bhatt. I didn't know who he was going into the week but this man was AMAZING. He is a minister in every sense of the word. He cared for the students, the youth ministers and our staff. He would get up early and stay up late just to come to our staff meetings (we meet every morning at 7:30am and after worhsip every night) just so that he would better know how to help us and help the students.

The third night of camp was possibly one of the most authentic times of worship that I have every participated in. As a staff, each morning we are studying the book of Joshua together. In the third chapter, the nation of Israel is preparing to cross over into Jericho but must first cross over the Jordan River, which is in the midst of it's flood stage. In order for the people to be able to cross over, God tells Joshua to have the priests step into the water and when they do, the water goes back and the people are able to cross on dry ground. Our camp theme for this summer "The Way" taken from Acts 19:23 ("And about that time there was a great disturbance about the Way"). So, that night, Sam re-created the crossing of the Jordan River. The students, if they felt so called, were able to walk done and cross through the water, step onto dry ground and pick up a stone as a reminder of their commitment to the way, just as the people of Isreal did in Joshua 3. As a staff, our job was to line the "river area" and pray for the students as they walked through. For some reason, that week I had felt this extra burden on my heart for these students...things I had heard from youth pastors about the students just broke my heart. To be able to sit their, surrounding these students and vocalize outloud my prayer from this was...an opportunity I would not trade for anything.

Moving onto this week...today was registration day, which is normally my hardest and most crazy day of the week. But, for some reason, today was CRAZY easy! I still had hard things to deal with (toliets over flowing and needing to move people to a different room because of it, churches adding 14 people the night before camp and wanting all of them to have beds...etc) but, I never felt the desire to cry! :-) In fact, I even bought some stuff online from Old Navy today! I definatly count today as a blessing!

My team and I have started joking about the little things that we now are so much more grateful for because of the fact that we live in camp world...be looking forward to a list in the near future of these things...I think all of you will find some of them quite humerous. :-)

By the way, you should leave me a comment so that I know who all is reading this and that I'm not just typing to myself....that's too much like talking to yourself and I'm weird enough without doing that....:-)

Well...off to sleep I go!

Grace and peace!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Lisa ~ I wanted you to know that I am reading what you write, and I always enjoy it. Clearly, though, I'm not reading the titles, because I didn't realize until now that when you were in NC you were at Wake Forest. I'd be interested to hear what you thought of Winston-Salem. We lived only about 10 miles east of there before we moved to Texas. It's beautiful country. Anyway, keep up the good work. I'm so glad that God is allowing you to see Him at work and to feel His presence. I'm really proud of you! Love, Terri (Mrs. Ewing :-))

Jan said...

Hi Darling Daughter, Did you mean leave 1 comment, or leave 1 comment every time I read your blog. If so, I don't think that is a very good idea because I read them many, many, many times. I am so glad you are writing this. It is wonderful to know you are doing well and this experience is everything you had hoped and thought it would be. Also, the other night when I left the room, your dad was leaving you a comment, but I don't see it. Sorry, guess I should have stayed in the room :-) to make sure the right buttons got pushed. We are both so proud of you and happy for you as you continue your journey. Just remember to mind your manners and to BGBSBK. Mom

Anonymous said...

Friend, I always check your blog -- I even have it as one of my home pages. I may not be able to read it for a bit (i got half way through this post three times before I had the chance to actually finish it). I love hearing about it all. I love you!

Jan said...

See, there is the proof your dad was leaving you a comment, I was still signed in under Sam. Love, love, love.